Friday, May 8, 2015

Mother's Day

Guest Blogger-Laura Griswold

Public Information Secretary





One of the things I remember most about my mother was her hands.  I remember how soft they felt when she would cover my forehead with a damp cloth when I was sick.  I remember how strong they were when she held my hand to cross the street (or walk through the candy aisle) as a child.  I remember every wrinkle as she aged.  Every age spot gained from her afternoon lunches on the patio in the summer.  Her perfectly manicured (done herself) coral or red nails.  Her wedding band and engagement ring – the most beautiful jewelry I had ever seen – and how they became loose over the years.  Everything about my mother’s hands told me who she was and what I could learn from her.  She worked hard; was strong; was faithful in her marriage; loved us tenderly, shared her life willingly with my father; didn’t have to spend a lot of money to be beautiful; and would always be there with a hug when we needed it.

Mothers make that indelible mark on our life because of the time we spend with them and their unconditional optimism of what their children can do and become.  My mother was also a teacher and I saw later in life that she cared for all of her students with those same “mother hands”.

For some, the “mother hands” came from another relative, a teacher, even a close neighbor.  But the feeling of love was the same.  This person was there when no others were.  This person saw in us the potential to become educated, caring and productive global citizens and did much to help us along the way.

As we look forward to another great May weekend, we celebrate the mothers in our lives.  Take some time to visit, call or hug yours.  Make sure you let all of them – mother, grandmother, teacher, mentor – know how much you appreciate what they’ve done for you.

Some of us can no longer share the day with our mom, but we can honor her in remembering all that she sacrificed and all the love she showed.  She is still with you!

“A mother holds your hand for a while, but holds your heart forever.”
                                                                                                  Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.