Friday, August 30, 2013

The Opening Day Address to Staff from BOE President Greg Ardrey


Good morning and welcome to the start of a new school year!
I am excited to be here today to ring in the beginning of a new academic year. On behalf of the board of education, I want to welcome ALL of you –veterans and newcomers alike. Whatever your status, you’re now officially members of the family here in Janesville.
And just like any other family, we may not always see eye-to-eye, but we are connected and support each other in good times and bad.
We’re here today because we ALL have ONE fundamental thing in common. We’re ALL educators, and I would hope that we’re ALL proud to serve the children of the School District of Janesville.
I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment (handbook, dress code questions, budget, weather, etc.), I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream, that we will serve our community by educating every child.
The work we do during the school day, after the school day ends, on nights, weekends, and even during the summer is VITAL to the future of our students, and to the future of society. That’s an ENORMOUS responsibility and one I hope we proudly accept, despite the challenges we are facing.
Last school year, our school district, our schools, our administration, staff and our students won many awards and recognitions – at both the state and the national level.  These accomplishments are too many to list, but I can say that the accomplishments are notable. I am so very proud to be volunteering in a school district, whose collective personnel, strive for greatness; people who are so passionate about the success of our students.
This coming year, you have both the opportunity and the responsibility to drive quality education in our classrooms.  In my work Alliant Energy, I see more and more evidence that from the foundation of elementary school experience to the graduating high school seniors, you are a critical element to the future success and even the livelihood of our students.
With tomorrow being the historic 50th anniversary of the great civil rights march on Washington DC, in which Dr Martin Luther King gave his ‘I Have A Dream’ speech, I have a dream today that we will serve our community by educating every child
I have a dream today that we will provide the foundational education that sets up our students for their future. 
I have a dream today that when we step into our classrooms, that we take the time and put forth the effort to communicate to our students on their level and build a relationship with each and every one of them.
I have a dream today that we will do our best to help the students’ dream of what they want for their future lives.
I have a deep appreciation for the dedication and hard work required to be a successful teacher.  I applaud your efforts.  My board colleagues and I are big fans.  As we head into our new school year, I want to thank you, to encourage you and to remind you how important you are to our students and to our community.
Have a great year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.