Along with all the good work Kennedy staff did with China this summer many other things are happening in the District to further Janesville’s International Education Program. Here are some of them.
- Twenty seven 4th and 5th graders from Beijing Zhon Guan Cun Number 3 primary school are arriving July 11 to join 28 Janesville students from 4th and 5th grade to learn and play together over a three week period.
- Dean of Students Jane Thompson was in Argentina the week of June 24 with a group of students on an exchange to Rosario. This exchange has occurred for over a 12 year period. While Jane was there she met with officials in Buenos Aires to further explore partnerships with schools in Argentina.
- Dr. Smiley made contacts with Columbia and we (Dr. Smiley and Dr. Schulte) will attend a follow up meeting next week to track further developments there.
- I continue a dialogue with Abu Dhabi as they explore interest in our American curriculum.
- The Lenchoes continue to pursue High School exchange with Slovakia. A videoconference will be scheduled in the near future.
- Teacher Andrea Behn is pursuing student exchange with France
I believe the exposure of our students to other students from around the world enhances their experiences and promotes higher student achievement. Our Test scores show improvement; though it is too early to tell until we have more trend data. There are many variables that have impacted student achievement in our school district; this is just one of them.