Monday, January 28, 2013

The Superintendent Chronicle: A Week in Review


To stay consistent with our focus on transparency, I believe that it is important to keep district staff and the community up-to-date on the decisions that are being made. I will be reporting each Monday, through this blog, on the important events that occurred the previous week in a series titled “The Superintendent Chronicle: A Week in Review”. This blog reviews what was a high priority for me the week before and explains the “why” behind important district decisions.

I had the honor of attending the Martin Luther King Jr. Breakfast on January 18, 2013 at the Eclipse Center in Beloit, Wisconsin.  Many Rock County organizations and businesses were represented.  Some local leaders were asked to say a few words on behalf of their organizations.  They were:

The Wisconsin State Senate ~ State Senator Tim Cullen
The Wisconsin State Legislature ~ Representative Janis Ringhand
The School District of Beloit ~ Superintendent Steve McNeal
The School District of Janesville ~ Superintendent Dr. Karen Schulte

I have included my comments below:

I bring you greetings from the School District of Janesville. It is a privilege to be her with you today to honor this great leader – Martin Luther King. I am reminded of one of his quotes that I have carried with me through a good part of my life bringing it to mind whenever the going gets hard.

“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.”

These have been times on challenge and controversy for our State, for our educational system, and for our livelihood. Let us stand together today in support and encouragement of one another as we continue forward to break the chains of injustice and move through the challenges of life in the manner of Dr. King with grace, courage and humility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.