Summer reading programs are geared to getting kids to read just because it is fun. Parents should check with their local libraries (Hedberg Library) to see what programs are offered and encourage the love of books and reading.
The following tips may help you develop the love of reading in your children:
- Start sharing books with your children as soon as they are born, and keep reading with them throughout their teen years.
- Make a time and place for reading in your home.
- Set a good example. Read books and make sure your kids see you doing it.
- Allow your children to select the books they want to read. Take note of their interests, and help them find other books on the topics they love.
- On camping trips and family vacations, have fun evenings of storytelling.
- Give books as presents.
-Adapted from the American Library Association’s website